* Prior to June 30 - Conduct Annual Audit
* Prior to August General Meeting -
Review / create new year budget for adoption
* 1st General PTA Meeting of the new school year -Budget Adoption
* August - Secure & Pay PTA Liability Insurance
* Aug 30 - Annual Audit submitted to KS PTA office
* Aug 30 - Submit Standing Rules to KS PTA (and additional submissions when any changes are made)
* Sept 1 - Proof of Liability Insurance submitted to SMSD
* Sept 1 - Submit first dues & membership roster to KS PTA
* 1st of each month - KS PTA Membership Dues & Membership Roster (names/email addresses) submitted to KS PTA
* Oct 1 - SMAC /Clothing Exchange Dues submitted
* Nov 15 - 990-EZ or 990-N to IRS and copy to KS PTA
* April 1 - Submit final membership dues & roster to KS PTA (members after March 31 go towards next year membership)
**KS PTA Dues & Membership Roster (names & email addresses) submitted to KS PTA.
**Monthly Unit bank reconciliation
**Monthly financial reports presented at each PTA meeting
Unit in Good Standing:
This is very important to adhere to the PTA guidelines in order for your children and Units to participate in
any state or national programs (Citizenship contest, Reflections contest, School of Excellence, etc), and to maintain your PTA levels.
1) Ensure KS PTA receives a copy of your most recent Standing Rules each year no later than October 1.
Additionally, a new copy should be forwarded each time you make a change
2) Ensure your treasurer conducts the yearly audit by June 30 of each year and promptly forwards to KS PTA.
Must be received no later than September 15.
3) Ensure your treasurer submits membership dues and membership roster (with email addresses) to KS PTA MONTHLY,
beginning with September 1.
4) Ensure your 990 is submitted to the IRS by November 15 and is promptly forwarded to KS PTA.
5) Ensure SMAC Dues is submitted - Due no later than October 1
6) Renew liability insurance and submit a copy of certificate, naming SMSD as additional insured, to email@example.com.
Due no later than August 1.
"...When PTAs respect differences yet acknowledge shared commonalities uniting t
heir communities, and then develop meaningful priorities based upon their knowledge,
they genuinely represent their communities.
When PTAs represent their communities, they gain strength and effectiveness through increased volunteer and resource support."
Unit/Council Standing Rules and Bylaws, just the mention of these will bring moans, groans and shrieks to the toughest PTA members. Fortunately, units and councils no longer have to write their own bylaws thanks to the Uniform Unit and Council Bylaws. However, the need still exists for all Kansas PTA/PTSA Units and Councils to create their own individualized Standing Rules.
Communications & Promoting Evnets
Because families receive their information in different ways, PTA should use any and all tools of communication available. Be current, consistent, and proof before distribution. PTA Presidents and/or other Board members should have access to anything online as a back-up. No one person alone should have private access, in case someone else needs to help distribute information...continue
Guidelines to Promoting your event
Successfully promoting your event or project is KEY!
The front office staff is happy to assist parents. However, last minute request put unnecessary pressure and strain on everyone.
Make sure your PTA board chairs & representatives know the plans.
Partnering Tips for a Strong School Community
Invite the Principal and Teachers to become PTA Members
Ensure to include the Principal in developing the PTA's plan of work
Make the Principal-Parent dialoge visible
Work together networking to establish community partnerships
Coordinate fundraisers tied specifically to your Principal's goals or for all school relevance
Nominate your school, Principal & Teachers for awards
Encourage two-way messaging
Promote health & nutrition in your school
Working with your Principal, invite community groups and youth-service organizations to your school
Timeline for Unit PTA President
Presidents Timeline/Checklist & Duties
Officer information has been submitted to SMAC and KS PTA
Coordinate / meet with Principal
To ensure a successful term of office, certain responsibilities begin as soon as new officers are elected...continue
Working with your Principal
Working with your Principal is the major means to a successful year.
Officer Resources >