* Prior to August Meeting - review / create new year budget for adoption
* August - Secure & Pay PTA Liability Insurance
* August 1 - Proof of Liability Insurance submitted to SMSD
* Ensure prior year Annual Audit is complete
* Sept 15 - Annual Audit submitted to KS State PTA office
* 1st General PTA Meeting of the new school year -Budget Adoption
* Oct 1 - SMAC Dues /Clothing Exchange SMEF Donation submitted
* 1st of each month - KS PTA Membership Dues & Membership Roster (names/email addresses) submitted to KS PTA
* Nov 15 - 990-EZ or 990-N to
Copy of 990 must be sent to KS PTA office
**KS PTA Dues & Membership Roster (names & email addresses) submitted to KS PTA.
**Monthly Unit bank reconciliation
**Monthly financial reports presented at each PTA meeting
Your President will be receiving information to share with you regarding your position as treasurer.
You have an incredibly important job for your unit, so be sure you give it the attention it deserves.
1. Annual Audit: Verify that the Annual Audit has been performed and that the results are presented at your first general meeting. A copy of audit documentation is required to be sent to Kansas PTA no later than Sept 15. Email to: email@example.com
3. PTA Insurance: Make sure your PTA unit insurance is paid and active. Kansas PTA recommends Liability, Bonding, and Director’s & Officer’s Liability. You are required to list Shawnee Mission School District as an additional insured.
4. SMSD Liability Insurance Proof: You must send a copy of your insurance documents, by August 1, to SMSD, c/o Brenda Davis, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. SMAC Dues / Clothing Exchange / SMEF Donations: are due to SMAC Treasurer by OCTOBER 1.
6. IRS Form 990-EZ, or 990-N (electronic postcard): Verify this is completed and sent in for the previous year has been prepared or is in the process of being prepared. This must be postmarked by November 15th, each year to the IRS. Keep a copy for your records and your bylaws require that you send a copy to the Kansas PTA, email@example.com, by November 15th each year.
Yes, we have to file taxes even though we do not owe taxes.
7. PTA Membership and dues must be sent to KS PTA MONTHLY.
Both forms must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
This form should be mailed each month with new membership submissions
8. As a requirement of your unit’s tax-exempt status with the State of Kansas, you are required to file sales tax reports, even if you owe nothing. You can do this at: http://www.ksrevenue.org/kswebtax.html.
9. Never make financial decisions on your own. Your unit budget, as approved by the membership, will be your guide in all financial affairs. If your budget needs amending, do so at a general meeting with a vote of the membership.
10. All checks:
-- require two signatures
--are never to be signed if blank
--are never to be payable to the Tresasurer unless two OTHER officers sign
12. Always give a report of balances of accounts at every meeting of your PTA, as well as a budget report showing categories of income and expenses.
Even though we are tax-exempt, we must still file a return to protect our tax-exempt status. If your unit’s gross income (this is all money that enters your bank account) is $50,000 or less, you file a form 990- N, which is an “e-postcard” filed online. All others would file a 990-EZ either paper or electronically. Your 990 must be filed by November 15th of each year.
Also, in order to remain a “Unit in Good Standing” with Kansas PTA, your unit must send a copy of your 990-N or 990-EZ to the Kansas PTA office by mail or email by November 15th of each year.