2017 Theme: "Within Reach"
New this year - IMPORTANT! ---- learn how to properly ensure all submissions are complete with accurate information for digital upload!!
It's easy to implement the Reflections program at your school. Rules, submission forms and judging rubrics can be found in the 2017-2018 KSPTA Arts and Awards Packet (tbd) - all paperwork needed is included here -- student forms, judging forms, entry forms, State submission forms!
Reflections Art Contest
Local Unit deadline (your school)
December 1st, Friday (or sooner)
District/SMAC contest deadline (Lori Stanziola)
December 15, Friday
Drop off location and time
Reflections Contest Artwork Display & Open House
January 30, Tuesday - 6-8:00pm
Shawnee Mission West High School
Reflections Recognition and Reception
BOE Meeting - 6:30pm
Monday, February 26, 2018
Create an Original Work
Only new and original works inspired by the theme: Within Reach. will be accepted. Enter in 1 or more of the following arts categories.
- Dance Choreography
- Film Production
- Music Composition
- Visual Arts
Kansas PTA Reflections Awards are announced in March
National PTA Reflections Awards are announced in May
Best practices for hosting your program
- 1. Getting Started
- Register your PTA starting July 1 at PTA.org/Reflections.
- Visit your Reflections state program for official materials and specific deadlines.
- Take the Reflections eLearning Course for tips on how to host a successful program.
- Use these easy program planning tools:
- Program Leader Checklist
- Volunteer Sign-Up Sheet
2. Promote Your Program
- Customize this Themed Poster (En español) or have fun creating your own using these image files below.
- Reflections logo (JPEG, EPS, PNG)
- Category Images: Dance Choreography; Film Production; Literature; Music Composition; Photography; Visual Arts; Special Artist
- Themed Images: Hand (PNG, EPS); Within Reach (PNG, EPS); Within Reach En español (PNG, ESP)
- Distribute your Reflections state program entry form, rules and deadlines.
3. Organize Artwork for Judging
- Collect and qualify submissions by category and division.
- Provide instructions to your judges using this template Reviewer's Packet.
- Collect scores, rank submissions and assign awards by category and division.
4. Celebrate Your Participants
5. Wrap Up and Report Program Success
- Thank school staff, community partners, judges and volunteers using this Thank-you Letter for Volunteers.
- Complete an short online survey to report your success (Coming soon!)
Questions? Contact your state PTA for state program instructions, deadlines and award announcements.
Each year SMAC provides a brief training workshop for your local unit Reflection Chairs.
Learn how PTA Reflections contests work, including important dates and timelines, ways to promote the contests, get judges and much more!
The sessions will also focus on increasing student participation while reducing work for organizers.
New and past local school chairs are encouraged to attend.
welcomes all grades and abilities to explore and be involved in the arts. Annually, thousands of students will reflect on a common theme and create original works of art in the categories of dance choreography, film production, literature, music composition, photography and visual arts.